The Office of Science and Technology Austria, Washington DC, would like to inform its stakeholders of the "US-EU Workshop on Cluster Mapping and Cluster-Based Economic Development Policies" that will take place in Boston and Washington, DC. from 17 to 19 November 2015.
This event is organised notably as a development of the Cooperation Arrangement on Clusters which was signed between the European Commission's DG GROWTH and the US Department of Commerce in April 2015.
Over the three days, cluster policy makers, experts, and policy-oriented researchers from the United States and Europe will gather to exchange best practices on cluster mapping, the design of cluster portals, and cluster-based economic development programs.
The draft agenda for the Washington DC event can be found below.
Thursday, November 19, 2015
U.S. Department of Commerce
Moderated by Mark Muro, Metropolitan Policy Program, The Brookings Institution (TBC)
9:00 a.m. Opening Remarks
TBD, Department of Commerce
9:15 a.m. Current Programs and Priorities in Cluster Policy
- National Economic Council/Office of Science and Technology – TBD, White House
- Economic Development Administration cluster initiatives - TBD
- Small Business Administration cluster initiatives – TBD
- State and regional efforts
- Ann-Marie Stieritz, South Carolina Council of Competitiveness,
- TBD, Oregon Business Council - TBC
- Cluster initiatives in European Commission programs – Carsten Schierenbeck, DG GROWTH
- The French “pôle de compétitivité” program – TBD, Directorate-General for Enterprises, Ministry of Economy, Industry and Digitalisation, France
- Basque Cluster Policy – Alex Ariola, SPRI, Basque Country/Spain
- Internationalizing Germany’s Leading-Edge Clusters, Juergen Wengel, Ministry of Science of Technology, Germany (TBC)
11:30 a.m. Coffee/Tea Break
12:00 a.m. Key choices in successful cluster policies: what to support, who to support, and what goals to achieve?
- Tom Guevara, Deputy Assistant Secretary, Economic Development Administration (TBC)
- Carsten Schierenbeck, DG GROWTH
- EU Member country (TBD)
- Gerd Meier zu Koecker, Lead of the European Cluster Observatory
- Charles Wessner, Director of Technology, Innovation and Entrepreneurship, the National Academies (TBC)
2:00 p.m. Evaluating the Impact of Cluster Policies and Cluster Organizations
- Evaluation of cluster programs
- Mark Turner, Optimal Solutions (TBC)
- TBD, EDA
- TBD, SBA
- Nicolai Zarganis, DASTI/Denmark (TBC)
- TBD, Public Service of Wallonia, Belgium
- Labeling of cluster organizations
- Thomas Lämmer-Gamp, European Secretariat for Cluster Analysis (ESCA), Germany
3:30 p.m. Coffee/tea break
4:00 p.m. Learnings, open questions, and next steps
5:00 p.m. Wrap-up