Summer Fellowship in Austria for Doctoral Students in Natural and Social Sciences, Math, Policy and Engineering
bridges vol. 36, December 2012 / News from the Network: Austrian Researchers Abroad
Each summer, the International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA), located in Schloss Laxenburg near Vienna, Austria, hosts a selected group of graduate students, primarily doctoral, from around the world in its Young Scientists Summer Program (YSSP). These students work closely with IIASA's senior scientists on projects within the Institute's 3 theme areas.
Funding is available for Fellows selected by IIASA, to cover travel to IIASA and a modest living allowance.
Most funding comes from IIASA's NMOs for students from member countries, but applicants from all nations are eligible to apply, and some unrestricted fellowships are available.
APPLICATIONS DEADLINE: 14 JAN 2013
2013 YSSP dates: June 1st, 2013 – August 31st, 2013
WHAT IS IIASA AND WHAT ARE ITS PROGRAM AREAS?
IIASA is an international institution, supported by twenty member nations, engaged in scientific research aimed at providing policy insight on issues of regional and global importance in the following fields:
GLOBAL PROBLEM AREAS
- Energy and Climate Change
- Food and Water
- Poverty and Equity
- Transitions to New Technologies
- Advanced Systems Analysis
- Ecosystem Services and Management
- Mitigation of Air Pollution and Greenhouse Gases
- Evolution and Ecology
- World Population
- Risk Policy and Vulnerability
Detailed information about each program is on the IIASA Website: http://www.iiasa.ac.at/
WHO SHOULD APPLY?
- You are an advanced graduate student;
- Your field is compatible with ongoing research at IIASA;
- Your research and career would benefit from working alongside 50 or so contemporary young scientists from a score or more of other nations, and senior scientists from around the world;
- You would like to explore the policy implications of your work.
HOW DO YOU APPLY?
An on-line application form, along with more information, is at http://www.iiasa.ac.at/yssp/register/
General Questions: Tanja Huber, YSSP Coordinator huber[at]iiasa.ac.at
National Member Organzation (NMO) contacts: To learn about funding in your country, contact your NMO. Information can be found at http://www.iiasa.ac.at/web/home/about/nationalmembers/Full-List-of-Members.en.html